Wednesday 9 May 2012

Kuala Lumpar, a few days ago.

 
      These are a few days old. We stopped at Kuala Lumpar for three nights. I loved it here, so vibrant a city. The Petronas Towers were magnificent. I understand that until recently visitors could only view from the 44th floor but now people are allowed up to the 86th (I think) floor. This was not on my list of things to do as I am petrified of heights....they give me  "the willies".


  

Climbing the 272 steps up to the Batu Caves was more my scene. They are limestone caves about 400 million years old. Home of several Hindu shrines. We saw children being blessed, in a ceremony where their heads were shaved and a water/rice mixture was then smeared on the scalp and then gold upon that.
 


 

The entrance to the Dark cave. Home of the largest colony of trapdoor spiders. Fruit bats live here, you can hear them. It was pretty cool. It's a conservation site.







Of course the stall in the market lining the street outside the Batu Caves interested me. Rows of spices and sweet treats. Massive bags of lentils. Yum.

No comments: